Whenever I’m craving something naughty or fried, I automatically think of french fries. It’s the fat kid in me. I can remember growing up and running to the nearest fast food chain (names have been changed to protect the innocent) to order fries and a coke. I can’t event think of how that would make me feel if I did that today! Every once in a while, I still want that crispy, salty crunchy “frie” and these baked wedges are the next BEST thing! The trick is par-boiling the wedges beforehand AND (this is the most important step) placing them on a hot pan that’s been pre-heating in the oven. Betcha never did that before eh? It feels naughty to hear them sizzle. French fry porn. Enjoy and be nice and share with your people.
- 6 large potatoes (about 1½ to 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 small head of garlic (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Preheat the cookie sheet in the oven as well. It is important that the fries hit a hot pan because this will help ensure that they do not stick to the pan. If the potato wedges sizzle when they hit the hot pan, that’s perfect. You’ll want to get the pan back into the oven as quickly as possible too.
- Bring 2-3 liters of salted water to a boil. Begin by washing the potatoes and cutting them in thick wedges. Drop the potato wedges in the boiling water and cook for 3 minutes exactly. Immediately drain the water off the potatoes and toss in the olive oil, salt and pepper. You can add additional seasoning at this point like herbs or chili flakes but they are great simply seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Spread the potato wedges in a single layer on a large preheated cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 30 minutes. Turn the wedges over once, half way through the baking time. 4. Remove from oven, sprinkle with kosher salt and serve.