I sorta came across this creation by accident. I didn’t have all of the ingredients I needed to make an asian dish (think ‘sweet and sour’ chicken) so I decided to make a chicken nugget version instead. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how they would turn out without a buttermilk base but to my surprise, they were delicious! The sweetness of the coconut milk and crispiness of the panko or cracker (yes I’ve used both) is the perfect combination. The kids even loved these!
To keep them gluten free, I would suggest using my favorite brand of gluten free flours, Pamela’s! I have purchased mine on Amazon and found the pancake mix at Target and Sprouts. They are absolutely wonderful to bake with! You can check out the flour blend here: Pamela’s Artisan Blend.
Enjoy making these little nuggets for your little nuggets, or perhaps you’ll enjoy them for yourself!
- ½ cup avocado oil, or more, as needed (I used Chosen Foods brand)
- 1 cup coconut cream or milk
- ¾ cup Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Gluten Free Panko or Gluten Free Cracker crumbs
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, flour, cornstarch, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Working one at a time, dip chicken into milk mixture, then dredge in Panko or crumbs, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add chicken to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately, with dipping sauces of your choice! (My suggestions are balsamic ketchup, sriracha mayo, tangy carolina bbq, spicy mustard, and sweet chili sauce).