I really love paleo treats. I do. On the other hand, I hate how paleo treats get a bad rap because they are a “treat” and considered “paleo” at the same time. (Is that an oxymoron? I say, no). There are plenty of paleo-haters out there who knock people for making paleo desserts. I’m not one of them. My standpoint is, if you are making a better choice, taking your butter off of your bread, removing the cheese from your broccoli, or substituting white flour and sugar for dates and almond meal, then awesome! Why is that such a bad thing? Do I think you should survive off of bacon and paleo brownies, hell no. But go ahead, try new things, substitute, and indulge. Oh, and share with me.
These breakfast bars are easily a snack, dessert, or breakfast bar. I definitely prefer to serve them chilled so this is a great idea to make during “meal prep” time on Sunday and add to your breakfast or afternoon snack. Because of the coconut and banana, they don’t have a high protein content so I’m always a fan of adding gelatin to get some protein macros. This is a perfect pairing with eggs in the morning or an afternoon snack with a protein shake. Yum!
- Coconut oil spray (Avocado Oil is a good substitute)
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup agave (or honey)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened is preferred)
- 4 Tbsp coconut milk or almond milk if you don't have any
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup Great Lakes Gelatin (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a coconut oil spray to grease a parchment lined, 8x8 pyrex.
- Whisk eggs and then mash banana in a bowl. Add agave, vanilla, and milk.
- Add in your flour and mix well.
- Fold in coconut and mix until combined.
- Spread batter in band and sprinkle pecans over top.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from pan but lifting parchment paper out. Cut into squares and serve warm or cool and refrigerate for later use. These are delicious cold! You can also freeze these and defrost in the microwave for a few seconds.