Okay so maybe the title is a lie. This is really a secret carb shake. I know, I know, that probably scares most of you away. But for some of you, we struggle with getting in enough carbs or get sick of eating rice and sweet potatoes. While I don’t depend on oatmeal for breakfast, I really enjoy the flavor of sweet and the earthy taste. If you’re an oatmeal cookie lover like me, and a cinnamon roll lover like my kiddos, then hey – this shake is for you!
While the recipe is wee bit carb heavy with the banana, oats, and milk, (a serving is almost 50g carbs!) it’s really no different than your average breakfast muffin or pastry. This shake is super filling too so I promise you, having a shake for breakfast won’t leave you hungry. Besides, anytime I have a reason to pack in Chosen Foods Chia Seeds, I’m all in. The fiber content in chia seeds – 5 grams per tablespoon – swells when soaked in water, causing a full feeling that may also support weight loss and healthy blood sugar levels. With more antioxidants than blueberries, and the highest plant source of omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds may also help support the reduction of inflammation. Game on!
The kids gulped this down and having my favorite Chosen Foods Chia seeds mixed with the chunks of chocolate chips made it feel crunchy and yummy. Is it just me or do you love sucking these out of your teeth afterwards? No? Just me? Anyhow…They didn’t even know they were eating something good for you! I’m pretty sure if my 2-year old drinks it, it’s yummy. Word to the wise, start with a straw and finish with a spoon!
- 1 large frozen banana, sliced
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup enjoy life chocolate chips or semi sweet chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I used Progenex Tropical Vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon Chosen Foods chia seeds (see link above for purchase)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all of your ingredients in a blender or ninja and mix that sucker until it's thick and creamy. Enjoy! Note: there will be chunks of choc chips, oats and chia seeds to eat with a spoon. Don't worry if they sink to the bottom.