You should all know by now I make and try donuts like it’s my job. Isn’t it though? I’m really only here to help you all out. I think I’ve found another gem that needs to go in the vault. This is a best of the best in my opinion if you love strawberries like I do.
The glaze coats perfectly and isn’t too “wet” or “sticky,” thus leaving you with a gooey donut. Bleh. Maybe it’s just me, but I think the donut glaze should be on top on the donut. These are a wee bit dense but oh so sweet at the same time. They are even more special to me because I can make them taste super yummy with my Chosen Food Avocado Oil and not some nasty Canola or Corn Oil. Oh, and don’t worry about over-indulging; eating one of these bad boys is plenty.
The super duper trick is the glaze itself. What happens when you mix strawberries with sugar? The juices from the berries are extracted and along with the sugar, make a perfect creamy glaze. It’s nuts! And please go buy the dried strawberries for this recipe. You won’t regret it. Trader Joes sells this and if you have kids like I do (or a sweet tooth), you’ll use them. This really gives the donut a super vibrant strawberry flavor. If you opt not to use the powder, that’s okay but the glaze won’t be as berry-y. I’m pretty sure you won’t have a problem getting rid of these. Enjoy!
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I used Pamela's baking mix)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp avocado oil (see link above for purchase)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup finely chopped strawberries
- Strawberry Glaze:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped strawberries
- ½ cup freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease donut pan with cooking spray of choice.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt, make a well in center of mixture and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together milk, oil, vanilla and eggs then pour into well in flour.
- Stir mixture just until combined, then fold in ⅔ cup finely chopped strawberries.
- Spoon batter evenly into each well of the doughnut pans. These will have a bit of rise to them!
- Bake in preheated oven 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of donut comes out clean.
- Allow to cool several minutes in doughnut pan then invert onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the Strawberry Glaze:
- Prepare glaze just before donuts are ready. In a mixing bowl, combine ½ cup finely chopped strawberries and half of the powdered sugar. Stir until mixture starts to become moistened, then allow to rest 1 minute.
- Finely crush dried strawberries to powder by placing in a Ziploc bag and crushing with rolling pin.
- Add in remaining powdered sugar and freeze dried strawberry powder and stir until well combined. Let mix sit a bit longer if still not moistened since strawberries will moisten mixture. You may wish to add 1-2 tbsp milk (one at a time) to get a smoother consistency.
- Whisk vigorously and use glaze immediately.
- Once cool dip donuts into glaze and allow some of excess to run off, then return to wire rack, glazed side facing upward. You may opt to serve immediately or transfer to freezer to allow glaze to set, about 5 minutes.