It’s official. I’m on a chia seed kick. My family is even on that train. They put those little seeds in everything, even a recovery drink.
I find myself putting it in and on everything I can: on top of oatmeal, in my smoothies and protein shakes, and on top of my mocha protein bowls. They’re so irresistible and yet, I can’t figure out why. Plus all that good nutrition in just a little seed? I mean, how can you not love them?
I won’t lie. This baked oatmeal is on the simpler side but sometimes I just need and want an easy simple breakfast. There’s no chocolate, there’s no sprinkles (gasp). It’s oatmeal ready to go if and when you need a quick item to grab in the morning. Obviously that means you need to make it the night before and store, or reheat for other mornings. Just pour some milk on top to ensure the oatmeal doesn’t dry out. I love serving mine warm, spread with extra peanut butter on top and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Next time, I think I might add some jam or berries after baking for a pb&j twist.
- 1½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup all natural creamy peanut butter
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened almond milk (coconut, soy or skim also work)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup gelatin for added protein, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- Mix the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas well, then whisk in the peanut butter, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla and chia seeds. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until top is barely golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes to cool, then slice into 6 servings and serve with extra almond milk, sliced bananas and toasted nuts if desired.