I know what you are thinking. Ew. Cauliflower smells like farts when you boil or steam it. Trust me. These are worth it! (Plus, I recently was given a trick on steaming cauliflower that won’t make your kitchen smell like stinky boys). Put a bay leaf in the pot with it! Genius! Why didn’t I think of that before?!
These are pretty dang delicious. If you feel like pizza and are still eating cheese (yay for being primal), then these are for you! I served mine with a pizza themed dinner – pepperoni chicken and caesar salad. I was all pizza’d out! These are phenomenal low carb alternative to traditional cheesy breadsticks. These cauliflower breadsticks are full of flavor, cheesy and easy. Okay, well sort of easy. The prep takes a bit but the taste is worth it.
And you can pick them up by hand. Doesn’t that make you want to eat them?
- 1 head cauliflower, large
- ¼ cup egg whites, about 2-3 eggs
- ½ cup + ¾ cup (for topping) Mozzarella/Mozz Blend cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut cauliflower florets and place in a food processor and process until "rice" texture.
- Place in an oven proof baking dish (I used a Pyrex dish) and bake for 20 mins. Remove cooked cauliflower from the oven and transfer to a bowl lined with a linen towel. Let the cauliflower cool down a bit until it is safe to touch, about 10 minutes.
- Fold the towel holding by the ends and squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower "ball" as hard as you can. Be patient and do this a few times until barely any liquid comes out. I squeezed out 1 cup of liquid. It should be left as a compact ball, similar to dough. If not, you're not done squeezing.
- Increase oven T to 450 degrees. Transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl along with egg whites, ½ cup cheese, herb seasoning, black pepper, pinch of salt and mix to combine.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten into a rectangle, approximately 9" x 7" size and ¼" thick.
- Bake for 18 minutes, remove from the oven and top with remaining ¾ cup cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes and then broil until cheese turns golden brown. Cut into breadsticks and serve hot with warm marinara sauce, if desired.