I made this sweet potato skillet a couple of weeks ago and it has been one of the best homemade breakfasts that I’ve had in a while. When I had the idea of making a mini skillet breakfast, I was exploding with excitement! Having your own individual seeing PLUS it being breakfast? How wonderful is that?
The flavors were wonderfully balanced from the spanish flavors to the creamy potatoes and eggs and the fresh avocado slices. Plus they’re a cinch to whip up, making it a perfect breakfast/brunch dish when you have guests over.
- 4-6 eggs
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ roll of Jenny-O turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp Mexican oregano
- Optional: ½ onion if desired or stewed tomatoes
- Garnish: sour cream, cilantro, red onion, avocado
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet or oven-safe pan over medium heat. Add diced sweet potato (with skin) to pan. Cover and cook, flipping 1-2 times for aprox 10 mins or until potatoes are soft.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat sausage in another pan over medium heat, crumbling as it cooks. If you opt to add in an onion, this is where you will also cook your diced onion.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- During final minutes of cooking the potatoes, add in all spices and adjust flavor to your preference.
- Combine sausage and potatoes into skillet or oven-safe pan. You can either use a cast iron skillet or place mixture into mini cast iron skillets.
- Make tiny wells in potatoes and crack 1-2 eggs in each mini skillet or throughout large skillet. Season with salt and pepper and bake until egg whites are no longer clear. (Mine took 8 mins for a medium cooked egg).
- Serve immediately and top with sour cream, cilantro, avocado, and pico or red onion.