Breakfast is seriously my favorite meal of the day. I don’t know about you, but regardless of my mood when waking up, breakfast always makes it right. Anytime you can eat chocolate or cheese before 7am and it’s considered “okay,” is a good day in my book. Although this dish doesn’t have chocolate (don’t worry – there are plenty of my other posts that do), this one doesn’t skimp on cheese or flavor! And guess what? It’s super low calorie and has a decent amount of protein. You can even save the leftovers in the fridge for a few days as this reheats nicely. Is it weird that I ate my leftovers as a snack mid-day? Probably.
This quiche is a crustless variety and closer to a frittata. I highly suggest using a blend of cheeses as it will pack a big punch to your eggs. Also, if you would like to omit the milk, you certainly can since it will only take away from the fluffiness. The most important part is the tomatoes. Be sure to get roma tomatoes and layer those suckers on! Between the basil, garlic, and tomatoes, it’s the closest thing to a pizza for breakfast!
- ½ of a small yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large Roma tomatoes
- ⅓ cup packed fresh basil, chopped
- 4 ounces of cheese blend (I used 3oz monterey jack, 1 oz gruyere. Mozzarella is also fine).
- 2-3 Tbsp shredded parmesan
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup milk (any)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9" pie plate with non-stick spray (I used Chosen Foods avocado oil).
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and place onions into a bow.
- Slice ONE of your tomatoes in half and scoop out as many of the seeds as you can. After seeds are removed, chop tomato and add to onion/garlic mixture.
- Pack basil leaves into ⅓ cup measuring cup, then chop. Add chopped basil to onion/garlic and tomato mixture and toss. Spoon this mixture into the bottom of your pie plate and spread into an even layer. Top with all of your cheeses and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, whites, milk, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly on top of cheese layer. Lay tomato slices gently on top of egg mixture. Finish with additional salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes (mine was set in 35 mins) or until filling is set. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.