I feel so naughty for posting this. Reason being, is because I am obsessed with these taco-burrito-quesadilla mash ups. It’s really every favorite fast food Mexican dish I can have all in one. Who doesn’t love that? If you don’t then I guess we aren’t friends. I’m kidding. (or am I?)
These all started back when about a year ago I was complaining to my girlfriend that I was so sad that my inner-fatty couldn’t eat quesadillas during my nutrition plan. I loooooooooove quesadillas. But realistically, it wasn’t the best choice for any entree. There was no protein, and way too much fat and carbs. I could never figure out how to make it work (this is flexible after all) so I had to give them up. I’m also a big taco lover. Being in San Diego makes that easy since almost every restaurant has their own SoCal taco to sell (some with chorizo, some with duck, some with fish). Amazing.
So here we are. Faced with a mexi-predicament. Until, one day we decided to grill our burritos like they do on the taco bell commercials. Yes, I’m a consumer and fall victim to television marketing. I thought – oh my gosh! I can have a crispy tortilla! yum! Then in dawned on me. I never order my burritos with beans or rice (too many carbs for me) so why not just flatten it and grill it like a guesadilla. Brilliant. We started experimenting with fillings, folded those suckers up and boom. Crunch wraps. Half-burrito, half-taco, half-quesadilla. Okay not halves but you get the idea. The kids love them, my kids want them nightly, and they cure any naughty craving I have for quesadillas (and barely have any cheese!).
This recipe falls victim to my need for indulgence and isn’t on the healthiest side of my recipes, but I believe in flexibility. I’ve also switched out a lot of items for healthier versions (turkey instead of beef for example). The filling choices are up to you! Be sure to use the honey chipotle sauce to dip them in. Delicious!
- 6-8 Tortillas (burrito size)
- 1lb ground turkey or group beef
- taco seasoning packet, low-sodium (homemade would work too)
- 1 cup mexican blend cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1-2 cups of tortilla chips
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (optional)
- ½ recipe of honey chipotle dressing (see blog)
- Set out two frying pans. In one, crumble and brown ground turkey on medium heat until browned. Add intake seasoning plus ¼-1/3 cup of water (depending on your preference). Simmer a few mins or until sauce is incorporated. Once the meat is done, leave on low while you assemble wraps.
- Heat other frying pan to medium-high heat.
- Place a few ounces on turkey mixture onto a tortilla.
- Layer immediately. with cheese, avocado, (lettuce if you wish), a few crumbled tortilla chips, and 1 tbsp of sour cream.
- Gently fold sides of tortilla in towards the center, pressing down as you fold so that the wrap is flattened but sealed.
- Place in the hot pan, seam side down so that it crisps to form a seal. Flip after 2 mins (or until browned).
- Remove from heat, cut in half and serve immediately with sauce.